Monday, November 2, 2009

Reusing and repurposing in your jewelry designs

I recently made a necklace using a little bit of something old and a little bit of something new. A customer had found some old charms (as in 40 years old!) that she assumes her mother had engraved with the intent of making a charm bracelet. Most likely, she intended to add a charm every year on the customer's birthday, but the charm bracelet was never made. However, I gave those old charms a new life by mixing them with new charms that reflect the customer's current interests, such as a camera, a cute VW bus, a dog, a hammer, etc. So, instead of a charm bracelet, the customer now has a charm necklace!

Here are the "old" charms:


And here is the new necklace:




I think it turned out great and the customer was very happy that she was finally able to wear the charms that her mother bought for her! If you would like me to create a similar piece of jewelry for you, just contact me.

1 comment: